Why Energy Healing Matters in Modern Medicine
Albert Szent-Györgyi, the winner of the 1937 Nobel Prize in Medicine famously said that “in every culture and in every medical tradition before ours, healing was accomplished by moving energy.” There is a general understanding that this energy is the life force. Keep your life force healthy and it keeps you healthy. Observed and studied by many cultures and medical traditions, this energy is known by many names – Qi, Ki, Prana, Ruach, Mana, Bio-magnetic Field, and more.
The modalities of energy healing not only heals, but also helps bring vitality when you are drained, resilience when you are stressed, and joy when you are down. Energy healing in a phrase, gets your energies into harmony and balance. If you are sick or sad, shifting your energies feels good. Balancing your energies balances your body’s chemistry, regulates your hormones, helps you feel good, and helps you think better.
Energy healing has been called the medicine of the future, but it empowers you now to adapt to the challenges of the 21st century and to thrive within them.
How Does Energy Healing Work?
Energy healing uses techniques from time-honored traditions such as Reiki, acupuncture, yoga, kinesiology, and Qigong.
Restoring flow, balance, and harmony
Flow, balance and harmony can be non-invasively restored and maintained within an energy system by:
- Tapping, massaging, pinching, twisting, or connecting specific energy points on the skin;
- Tracing or swirling the hand over the skin along specific energy pathways;
- Exercises or postures designed for specific energetic effects;
- Focused use of the mind to move specific energies and/or by surrounding an area with healing energies.
Now that we’ve established what energy medicine is, let’s address a question we often get asked:
Is Energy Healing Incompatible With Conventional Medicine?
The answer is an emphatic no. Energy healing and conventional medicine can work in a wonderful harmony.
Conventional medicine (or Western medicine as it is sometimes called), at its foundation, focuses on the biochemistry of cells, tissue, and organs. Energy healing, on the other hand, focuses on the energy fields of the body that organize and control the growth and repair of cells, tissue, and organs.
To maintain vibrant health, the body needs its energies to:
- Move and have space to continue to move — energies may become blocked due to toxins, muscular or other constrictions, prolonged stress, or interference from other energies.
- Move in specific patterns — generally in harmony with the physical structures and functions that the energies animate and support. “Flow follows function.”
- Cross-over — at all levels; from the micro-level of the double helix of DNA, to the macro-level where the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side controls the left.
- Maintain a balance with other energies — the energies may lose their natural balance due to prolonged stress or other conditions that keep specific energy systems in a survival mode.
Conversely, when the body is not healthy, corresponding disturbances in its energies can be identified and treated. By changing impaired energy patterns, we improve the vitality of organs, cells, and psyche through the most efficient, least invasive means.
Closer Integration Of Energy Healing Into Mainstream Healthcare Systems
Medical technology has become so sophisticated that routine procedures result in what would have seemed like miracles a few decades ago. And yet, as is often observed and mentioned by many studies, it is a system that is breaking down.
One of the main problems with the modern healthcare system is that not enough emphasis is placed on prevention. It doesn’t step in until after the person is already sick. Energy healing, on the other hand, gives everyone tools that will keep them healthy as a first line for healing.
Traced back to venerable healing and spiritual systems
In ancient China, you paid the doctor when you were well. You didn’t pay if you got sick because the doctor had failed to keep your energies — and therefore your physical body — in a healthy state. The doctor then had to work very hard to get your energies back into harmony so that your body would follow those energies back into health.
While it is not likely that your local hospital will agree to this arrangement, the principle is well worth incorporating. Changes in the physical body are shaped by and follow changes in energy fields and flows.
New York Times bestselling author, Christiane Northrup, MD, also known for her many appearances on Oprah, sums up how Energy Medicine can inform and complement conventional medicine:
“In the medicine of the future, as I envision it, working with the patient’s energy field will be the first intervention. Surgery will be a last resort. Drugs will be a last resort. They will still have their place, but shifting the energy patterns that caused the disease will be the first line of treatment. And before that, teaching people how to keep their energies in healthy patterns will be as much a part of physical hygiene as flossing or exercise.”
Why It’s Getting More Common
Here are the reasons why people (including many physicians and health care professionals) are increasingly using Energy Medicine:
- Balance the body’s energies before an invasive medical procedure, prepares the body for a healing outcome, leaves the patient more confident and relaxed, and makes the procedure more likely to succeed;
- Balance the body’s energies after an invasive medical procedure to minimize side effects and enhance recovery;
- Prevent or help overcome challenging illnesses;
- Energy healing is simple, pleasant, and non-invasive;
- The body’s energy fields can be restabilized on a regular basis through simple, cost-effective practices;
- Energy healing has no adverse side effects;
- Patients are increasingly asking for alternative preventative care and healing methods.
So this is a good time as any to start using energy healing modalities like Reiki to keep your life force healthy. Keep your energies humming and your body will be functioning at its best.