Stop and Smell the Coffee
Doesn’t the world just love coffee? It is, after all, the most popular wake-me-up beverages that some of us just can’t do without! It’s also having its day in the sun as a healthy drink due to the antioxidant content in it. Did you know that there have been studies indicating that people who drink coffee on a regular basis have a decreased risk of developing certain types of harmful diseases? Let’s see why we should wake up to a cup of good coffee every morning!
- Coffee drinkers have healthier livers, due to the increased levels of liver enzyme compared to those who do not consume it or consume very little of it.
- A premium high quality drink of coffee is not without nutrients! In fact, it boasts several important ones, such as riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, potassium, magnesium and niacin.
- Black coffee drinkers may have an advantage of stronger DNA strands that do not break easily. This in turn decreases the risks of certain types of cancers or tumours. Kopi-O, anyone?
- Women who drink at least one cup of coffee a day are found to be less at risk of having a stroke – one of the leading causes of female deaths.
- The caffeine in coffee can increase adrenaline levels and significantly improve a person’s physical performance.
- Researchers found that women aged 65 and older who drank two to three cups of coffee a day were generally less likely to develop dementia.
- Coffee has been found to improve various aspects of brain function — including memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, as well as the speed of our reactions.
- The caffeine in a good, dark, unsweetened cup of coffee can increase fat burning and boost your metabolic rate.