Recipe of The Day: Durian Curd Mini Pavlovas
Durian Curd Mini Pavlovas
By Danish Harraz
For the pavlova
- 6 Grade A egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 130ºC. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until fluffy.
- When fluffy, add the caster sugar gradually and continue beating for 10 minutes on high speed.
- The egg whites should look stiff and slightly shiny.
- Add the lemon juice and the vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula, fold until properly mixed.
- Then add the cornstarch and fold again until mixed.
- Pour the meringue into a piping bag; use your preferred piping tip and pipe onto the parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Once this is done, use a spoon to make a slight dent in the middle of the meringue. This makes it easier for us to pipe the curd and frosting.
- Lower the oven temperature to 110ºC and bake the meringues for 1 hour 30 minutes (this will depend on the kind of oven used).
- When the meringues are cooked, switch off the oven and, without opening the oven door, leave the meringues in the oven for 15 more minutes.
- Then take out the meringues and move them a rack to cool to room temperature.
- The meringues should look fragile on the outside and marshmallow-like on the inside.
- When they are cooled, you can top each of them with durian curd and whipped cream.
- Store in airtight containers.
For the durian curd
- 1 1/2 cup durian filling
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 tsp cornstarch
- 6 large egg yolks
- 85 grams Anchor unsalted butter, diced
- A pinch of salt
- In a food processor or blender: pour in the durian filling, sugar, lemon juice and salt, and blend.
- Then pour the mixture into a saucepan. Pour in the cornstarch and whisk until well blended.
- Then pour in the egg yolks and whisk. Switch on the stove, and cook on medium heat while continuously mixing, until the mixture has reached pudding-like consistency.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, drop in the butter bit by bit and stir unti well mixed.
- Cool and store in the fridge for at least 5 hours, or overnight, before using.
For the cream frosting
- 1 1/2 cup cold Anchor whipping cream
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- Beat the Anchor whipping cream with the sugar on medium speed, for 4-5 minutes, until fluffy. Put the whipped cream mixture into a piping bag.
- To finish the Durian Curd Mini Pavlova, take the meringues and pipe whipped cream in the middle of it, followed by the durian curd. Decorate to taste, and serve.
This recipe is taken from Danish Harraz who won a cooking competition organised by Fonterra Brands Malaysia.