Nothing Miniscule about the Nutrients in Microgreens
Microgreens are the seedlings of edible vegetables or herbs and they have become increasingly popular not only in the culinary scene, but in the world of science and nutrition as well. Formerly limited to just the seedlings of arugula, basil, beets, kale, and cilantro, microgreens are available in dozens of varieties today. Why, oh why should you care about this? Well, here are some facts about microgreens you may not have heard about.
- Research reveals that these tiny greens are packed with nutrients, such vitamins, C, E, and K, lutein, and beta-carotene, some up to 40 times more than their mature counterparts.
- Adds intense flavour and tastes to your dishes, and can be used to jazz up boring meals.
- Perk up your green smoothies – just a dash is enough for additional nutrients your body will appreciate!
- Used as garnish, they add visual appeal and of course, added nutritional value to your salads and other dishes.
- Their strong, intense flavours mean that just a little will go a long way.
- Easily available, and easy to store too. Get them at the produce section of any good supermarket.
- Can be easily cultivated, even in smaller spaces, via a good hydroponic system which can be obtained online.