Losing Your Battle on Obesity? Natural Medicine May Hold the Answer
Obesity is a chronic condition defined by an excess amount of body fat accumulation.
Body Mass Index [BMI] is a common method used to measure the obesity degree in population. BMI can be measured by a person’s weight (in kilograms) divided by the square of his or her height (in metres). When the BMI is 30 or more, it is generally considered obese. A person with a BMI equal to or more than 25 is considered overweight.
Obesity is actually a major chronic disease and it can lead to other diseases like Heart problems, Diabetes, High blood pressure, Arthritis, etc. It is also one of the most difficult diseases to treat and has the highest relapse rate [95%].
According to Natural Medicine, all diseases are due to one cause. The cause being accumulation of toxins in the system. Excess fat is seen as toxin. So its paramount important in naturopathy to maintain healthy weight and active lifestyle.
Causes of Obesity
• Sedentary lifestyle
• Hormone imbalances
• Physical disabilities
• Chronic diseases
• Genetic predisposition
• Bad dietary habits
• Socio- economical factors
• Certain medications
• Poor metabolism are all some of the major causative factors of obesity.
There are many more causes for obesity as simple as overeating to complex as hormone imbalances.
The natural medicine approach
There are many factors inclusing one’s unique body type, metabolism, body mass index, inherent strength and weaknesses, present health conditions, activity, lifestyle, work, present environment, medical history, nutritional status, organ strength, toxicity levels that are all taken into consideration before deciding on what approach to take on treating obesity. A Naturopath usually works on the root cause of the problem to find natural alternative solutions to resolve the issue which is the key for long term results.
Nutritional therapy for faster result
Through holistic approach, Naturopaths usually explore all the above mentioned aspects of the individual in a detailed nutritional analysis to equip with detailed data to suggest the most suitable diet, herbs, supplements and the right activities to achieve optimal weight.
Some amazing herbs that may assist in obesity
• Aloe Vera to cleanse the digestive track of accumulated wastes
• Brewer’s yeast an essential supplement to reduce cravings.
• Dandelion to flush all fats from liver and boost metabolism
• Fenugreek for dissolving fat within the liver and also a coolant.
• Green tea enhances the body’s ability to burn fat.
• Guggulu is an ayurvedic herb that controls weight and reduces cholesterol.
• Psyllium husk is full of spongy fibre (mucilage) and a traditional remedy for obesity and constipation
• Garcinia helps in managing hunger pangs
Naturopath might use methods like colon hydrotherapy, sauna, wrap baths, mud baths and alternate hot and cold applications in right conditions for altering metabolism and correcting hormones.
Yoga is essential component when it comes to losing weight. In yoga therapy session, the therapist design a focussed lesson plan just to work on the individual needs. A typical yoga therapy session would involve asanas (poses), breathing exercise, warm ups, sun salutations and relaxation. Assistance and support will be provided where necessary. Other therapeutic modalities like Magnet therapy, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Auriculo therapy, Aroma therapy, Color therapy and many more would be chosen by your Naturopaths to achieve the desired results to combat obesity.
Simple yet secret notes
• There is no shortcuts. You have to control your diet, take supplements and exercise daily
• Consistent effort pays on long run
• Drink a cup of water before each meals
• Chew the food very well.
• Eliminate extras. Avoid unhealthy snacking
• Eat a balanced diet. Low fat, fibre rich, calorie–controlled diet.
• Find out your body type and take the right herbs accordingly
• Drink lots of herbal teas as they boost up metabolism
• Have lot of soups and raw vegetables.
• Eat small portions at right intervals
• Don’t skip breakfast
• Practice meditation for stronger will power which is most important for sticking to goals.
• Optimal health is rather a better focus than weight loss
• Eat at home more often
• Don’t just change the diet alone. Change your lifestyle along with the diet for better result
In general, treatment of obesity always consists of exercise and healthy eating. All other measures join hands for these two major factors to yield faster results. Please consult an expert always before you try out any herbs or programs in natural medicine, as they are well informed to help you decide better.