Help Them Build Better Problem-solving Skills with Singapore Math Academy
Have you as a parent ever thought of how you could give your child the benefits of Singapore’s Math Syllabus while still residing in Malaysia?
Well, now you can.
Singapore Math Academy has 6 branches in Klang Valley, Ipoh, Penang and Miri, Sarawak offering mathematics using the maths material approved by the Singapore Ministry of Education. It provides maths classes ranging from Kindergarten K1 up to Secondary Year 11 (equal to Malaysian Form 5). Singapore Math classes are not the same as other conventional methods of teaching by memorization learning through repetitive exercises and worksheets. The syllabus focuses on High Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) or in Malay, Kemahiran Berfikir Aras Tinggi (KBAT).
An example of a Singapore mathematics question focuses on HOTS/KBAT,
After Andy had spent $80.35 and Aaron had spent $43.60, both had the same amount of money left.
(a) If Andy had $19.65 left, how much money did Aaron have at first?
$19.65 + $43.60 = $63.25
Aaron had $63.25 at ﬁrst.
(b) How much more money did Andy have than Aaron?
$80.35 + $19.65 = $100.00
$100.00 – $63.25 = $36.75
Andy had $36.75 more than Aaron.
Singapore Math Academy uses the Singapore Asia Publishers (SAP) series of maths books. The mathematics materials developed by Singapore Asia Publishers Education equip students with problem-solving skills and critical thinking skills necessary for life.
SAP strives to sustain and grow the business by expanding the range of products continually and increasing market share in global markets steadily. Our core operations are in Singapore, with overseas offices in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines. Singapore Asia Publishers Group continues to expand their presence in more than 30 countries globally.
Singapore Math Academy aims to develop students’ mathematical thinking by extending kindergarten, primary and secondary materials. The kindergarten school titles contain colourful illustrations to support the students in the development of early numeracy and anchor tasks, for the primary level we will introduce them to the concept, differentiated instruction and bar modelling for multi-step word problems. The secondary school titles are structured to sharpen both critical-thinking and examination skills.
Another method of mathematics the Singapore Math Academy practices in Mathematics Problem Solving. They are Attitude, Meta-cognition, Processes, Skills and Concepts.
- Attitudes are Beliefs, Interest, Appreciation, Confidence, Perseverance.
- Meta-cognition is Monitoring One’s On Thinking, Self-regulation on Learning.
- Processes are Reasoning, Communications & Connections, Thinking Skills & Heuristics, Application & Modelling.
- Skills are Numerical Calculation, Algebraic Manipulation, Spatial Visualization, Data Analysis, Measurement, Use of Mathematical Tools, Estimation.
- Concepts are Numerical, Algebraic, Geometrical, Statistical, Probabilistic, Analytical.
The final system The Academy uses in their syllabus is the 3-Step Learning Process. Step 1 – Discovery, Step 2 – Reinforcement and Creation, Step 3 – Reflection.
Singapore Maths Academy’s materials are well-known in contributing to Singapore’s students’ consistent top performance in various illustrious international studies such as,
- Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) 1995, 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2019
- Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS) 2001, 2006.
- Global Competitiveness Report 2009-2010, 2010-2011.
- Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009, 2015.
Singapore Math Academy has won the BabyTalk Readers’ Choice Awards in the category of Enrichment Centre (Mathematics).