Fun Facts About Fruits that Will Make You Go “Wow!”
Living in Malaysia, we have so much access to all sorts of fruits, from the local to tropical ones and the more exotic fruits to the imported varieties. We are spoilt for choice and often go for the flavour that tickles our taste buds. When you put flavours aside, you’d find that there are many interesting facts about these fruits that we may not be aware of. Here are some interesting fruit facts that might amaze you:
Orange – You Surprised?
- Brazil is the world’s largest producer of oranges and uses more than 70% of its oranges to make juices.
- Did you know that the word ‘orange’ was actually derived from the Sanskrit term of ‘narang’, which translates to ‘orange tree’?
- The orange is actually a hybrid of the pomelo and mandarin.
- There are typically ten segments inside an orange.
- Oranges also have anti-oxidant, anti-ulcer and anti-carcinogenic properties. They offer protection against cardiovascular diseases and reduce risk of kidney stones too .
Mangoes – One fruit to rule them all
- The mango is named the ‘King of Fruit’ by some (Sorry, durian) and ‘Fruits of the Gods’ as new varieties evolved from wild mangoes since its discovery. The names were given when mangoes were introduced in other countries and people fell in love with its aromatic qualities and flavours.
- Mangoes are botanically related to cashews and pistachios through the Anacardiaceae Therefore, some of the allergens that exist in pistachio nuts can be found in cashew nuts and mango seeds but not in mango pulp.
- Mangoes are incredibly versatile and are used in all kinds of dishes, which include being eaten raw, cooked in savoury dishes, blended, incorporated into desserts and even turned into rice.
- The most frequently consumed fruit in the world is the mango.
- The mango is the national fruit of India, Pakistan and the Philippines, while also being the national tree of Bangladesh.
Facts that are Just Bananas!
- Bananas are actually berries! As are grapes, coffee beans and oranges. Why is that? Well, in botanical terms, a berry is defined as a fleshy fruit that comes from the entire plant ovary that surrounds the seeds.
- A single banana can provide you up to 23% of the daily potassium intake that you need on a daily basis. Potassium actually helps the muscles in our bodies as it makes sure that the muscles work and prevents muscle spasms.
- Bananas are excellent sources of vitamins A, B, C and D. Consuming bananas will let you have more energy, mentally and physically to face your day.
- Bananas can improve your mood by helping the body produce serotonin (our happy chemical), according to some studies.
- During World War II, there was a shortage of tomatoes to make ketchup so they used bananas to make banana ketchup, which is made from mashed bananas, sugar, vinegar and spices.
Bringing together the goodness of fresh fruits, Tropicana has released three different variants of the Tropicana Essentials, which makes it easier for you to fulfil your daily nutritional gaps.
If you are bananas for bananas, two packs of Tropicana Essentials Banana Blend, that combines bananas, white grapes and strawberries, is enough to meet your daily calcium needs.
By consuming a pack of Tropicana Essentials Orange Blend, you get to fulfil your vitamin C needs of the day with ease. The Orange Blend combines the tangy taste of oranges and sweet apples in its flavour profile with added multivitamins such as Vitamin A, B3 and B6, C and E, into your daily nutrient intake.
Consumers in Malaysia also get to easily quench their thirst while also fulfilling their daily iron requirements with two packs of Tropicana Essentials Mango Blend, which contains 5.3mg of iron in each pack and combines the different delectable tastes of mangoes, oranges and apples.
These three variants are great for those who are on-the-go and for those who are looking to replenish their nutrition level without much hassle!
So, before you take a gulp of the brand new Tropicana Essentials, remember these fun fruit facts and dazzle everyone with your new found knowledge of these healthy fruits; and also your secret to fulfilling your daily nutritional needs.