Cherries More Than Just Seasonal Sweet Treats!
Anyone who loves cherries would know that you can’t get them all year round. When they are in the season, however, they tend to be on the more pricey side compared to our local fruits, but in this article, we are about to reveal some of the health benefits of cherries that may prompt you to make a little sacrifice in terms of your budget and stock up when you can!
1. Cherries are not only one of the healthiest fruits, they also rank as one of the most health protective foods you can find. One cup of 21 cherries contains less than 100 calories and 15% of your daily vitamin C needs. Here are more reasons why this stone fruit is a nutritional all-star.
2. Cherries are a potent source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. These cellular bodyguards slow down aging and ward off chronic illnesses.
3. The anti-inflammatory effect of cherries helps to protect against dangerous diseases. Since it ranks lower than many fruits on the glycemic index, it doesn’t trigger spikes and crashes in your blood sugar and insulin levels either.
4. One study in men and women with insomnia found that compared to a placebo, eight ounces of tart cherry juice in the morning and again one to two hours before bed increased sleep time by an hour and 24 minutes.
5. Several studies have suggested that cherry consumption is beneficial for osteoarthritis sufferers, hence making them part of your regular diet may help lessen your joint pain.
6. In one study, gout patients who consumed cherries for just two days (both the fresh fruit, as well as cherry extract and juice) showed a 35% lower risk of gout attacks compared to those who did not eat cherries.
7. Research has shown that drinking tart cherry juice can help lower the bad cholesterol known as LDL.
8. Cherries may help to protect against the cellular wear and tear from exercise, and help support muscle recovery. For this reason, tart cherry juice is popular with professional and competitive athletes