Build Up on Protein
Protein is the human body’s vital building block which is used to create healthy skin, muscle, hair, and bones. That’s why it’s a crucial nutrient when you’re pregnant, for baby and for you. It also ensures normal body growth in unborn babies, promote healthy tissues and helps to prevent low birth weight.
Pregnant women need about 70 grams of protein per day compared to non-pregnant women, who only need about 45 grams. You don’t have to get the recommended amount of protein every day. Instead, aim for that amount as an average over the course of a few days or a week.
Table of Contents
Food sources of protein
Beans are a great source of protein, as are lean meat, poultry, fish and shellfish, eggs, milk, cheese, tofu, and yogurt. While animal products contain complete proteins (all nine amino acid components) and plant sources generally don’t, eating a variety of foods throughout the course of the day will help ensure that you get all of the amino acids you need.
Eat three or four servings of protein daily and you’ll be well on your way to eating right for a healthy pregnancy. (Your prenatal daily requirement of 70 grams is the equivalent of two glasses of milk, a 5-ounce chicken breast, and two cups of yogurt, for example.)
Try Out These Recipes Today!
Turkey pasta bake (Family sized serving)
A healthier ground turkey and whole wheat version of the popular Italian pasta bake which normally involves sausages.
1 lb. ground turkey
1 jar Bolognese sauce with mushrooms
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt and pepper
16 oz of whole wheat penne or rigatoni
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup mozzerella cheese, shredded
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
- Start the pasta cooking according to package instructions. Spray a glass lasagne dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet heat up the olive oil. Add in ground turkey, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Brown and drain the ground turkey. Add in spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes and salt and pepper (to taste). Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta when ready and pour into the lasagne dish. Add in sauce mix and stir till pasta is well coated in the sauce. Sprinkle the mozzerella cheese over the top of the mixture. Place dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool for five minutes. Bon appétit!
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup soymilk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp honey
- Slice banana and freeze until firm.
- Blend tofu, soymilk, cocoa and honey in a blender until smooth.
- With the motor running, add the banana slices through the hole in the lid and continue to puree until smooth.
- Top with granola flakes and enjoy!
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp adobo sauce
14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
4 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
8 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches.
Tasty Fish Nuggets
1/2 lb fish fillet (cod or any other firm fish)
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp yogurt
- Preheat oven (395°F, 200°C). Line out a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Cut fish fillet bite-sized pieces (nuggets). Drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl combine milk, egg, mustard and yogurt. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip the fish nuggets into milk mixture to cover nuggets with the sauce.
- Take nuggets out of the sauce (using a fork) and let drip off excess of sauce and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place them on the baking tray and bake them for 10 minutes. Then heat up the oven and broil them until they are golden brown.
- Take them out of the oven and serve them hot with your favorite sauce, salsa or dip.